Ads by Amazon UK

30 January 2014

White flowers

Untitled


Three days after I took photographs of the cherry blossoms in our neighbourhood, I then brought my attention to a bunch of flowers closer to home - our backyard. Technically, the flowering shrub (name still unknown to me) is not part of our house nor our neighbour's (I think). Why? It grew in between both our fences!

Untitled

From afar the shrub with its white flowers just looks ordinary. But, move closer and look at it from below against a backdrop of blue sky and white clouds and you will be blown away! At least I was.

I took several shots from different angles and distances as part of my self-taught photography lesson. I was very pleased with the results, happy that I was able to get these wonderful shots. But, as my habit last year when I took these pictures, as soon as I finished admiring them on-camera I saved it in my computer and forgot about it. It is a self-confidence issue, I just don't think it was good enough for other people.

Untitled

It all changed when I discovered Snapseed for Android late last year. I revisited the pictures and did some editing (tune image and details tweaking) to make it 'pop' and 'sharp' a bit. But, there was not much difference from the original pictures.

When I checked the EXIF of the photos, I was surprised (I forgot my set up by now) to read that these were all taken with my telephoto kit lens, the Olympus mZuiko 40-150mm f/4-5.6 (https://amzn.to/2PH36bh). I thought that I took it with the Minolta Rokkor MD 50mm f/1.4 lens because of the beautiful blur (or bokeh?) of the pictures. How wrong I was! Now I view this kit lens with more respect. It just goes to show that what matters most is the user experience and not what others think of the lens.

Please check out my Flickr set White flowers for more pictures. Hope you will like them.




No comments:

Post a Comment